Research & Training
The details of the research undertaken by the Ombudsperson’s Office for Transitional Justice is as below:
- Human Rights violations related to state military operation in Thinadhoo and subsequent Thinadhoo depopulation incident (issues such as torture, use of force, right to fair trial, right to housing, forced migration, lack of social security, loss of property, right to compensation)
- Cases submitted by the H.Dh. Atoll Council and N. Atoll Council regarding equitable use of uninhabited islands within their atolls.
- Nationwide research in the light of the cases submitted by H.Dh. Atoll Council and N. Atoll Council regarding equitable use of uninhabited islands within their atolls.
- Human rights violations committed against former President Ameen Didi (especially right to free trial, freedom from torture, right to health care)
- Human rights violations that occurred on 2012 February 5, 6 and 7 (police and MNDF personnel’s forceful entry into TVM, attacks against freedom of expression, freedom of assembly, freedom from torture)
- Human rights violations which occurred between 1 February 2018 to 1 April 2018 (especially related to right to free trial, freedom from arbitrary arrest).
- Research into all housing schemes conducted in Male’ Area from 1953 – 2018 (Housing Scheme Procedures, background, targeted population, criteria, results, impact, common complaints and progress from one scheme to another)
- Human rights violations that occurred during 2015 May Day demonstrations (violations of rights granted under Maldivian Constitution, laws and international conventions).